2022 Winner - That Good Feelin'
Henry Rusten - Cape Girardeau Central High School
Sponsored by the Missouri Association for Jazz Education (MOAJE), the MOAJE Composition Contest recognizes outstanding compositions from middle schoolers, high schoolers and college students, and is held to highlight the promise of jazz composition in and beyond the school curriculum in the state of Missouri.
Entries will be judged based on their aesthetic quality, the power of the composition and its presentation in communicating the excitement of jazz music.
A combination of music industry and MOAJE member adjudicators will select a winner in both large ensemble and small ensemble.
To apply, complete the entry form by 11:59 pm, December 20th.
- No entry fee
- Only one (1) entry per composer
- Score must be submitted in PDF format and include an audio recording
- Recordings may be renderings of MIDI, live or studio, but should be submitted in MP3 format
- Students must be sponsored by a member of MOAJE
- Carefully follow all instructions on the entry form, including mp3 file naming instructions to avoid disqualification
- $100 prize will be awarded for large ensemble and small ensemble
- Winning composition will be available to MOAJE membership
- Deadline for submissions: December 20th by 11:59 pm.
Winners will be notified in December and will be recognized at the MMEA Conference/In-Service during the MOAJE Events.
Previous Composition Contest Winners:
2021 - David McCaulley, Carl Junction